Thursday, November 7, 2013

Week 4

Compared to last week, this week my microquarium looked completely dead. After the addition of the beta food pellet last week, the amount of life and motion was enormous. This week there were more organisms and materials in the aquarium, but most of those organisms were dead. The organisms I've seen before were still present and alive. I noticed multiple amoebas and anisomena, but I didn't notice half as many as last week (Jahn 1944) (Patterson 2003). The diptera larva was still present, alive, and growing (Rainis 1996). Few new species were noticed this week, but I did spot a couple. I saw two dead diatoms distinguishable by thick silica cell walls and an exact square shape as seen if Fig. 1 (Vinyard 1979).
I also noticed a mid-sized round blob zooming around without any distinguishable flagella. This blob happened to be a Colpidium species (Fischer 1996). Figure 2 shows a picture of the colpidium swimming around the middle of the tank.
The colpidium appeared translucent with little green dots inside it. Besides these organisms, I noticed little movement or new organisms, just a lot of dead ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment