Thursday, October 17, 2013

My MicroAquarium: Week 1

This week, I set up my MicroAquarium. I used water and sediment from the spring at Carter Mill Park (source 3). After dropping water from the bottom, middle, and top sections of the sample tray, I added vegetation to my MicroAquarium. I added Amblestegium varium (Hedwig) Lindberg. Moss. This moss was collected from the natural spring at Carters Mill Park, Carter Mill Road, Knox Co. TN on October 13, 2013. The source has partial shade exposure. I then added Fontinalis sp. Moss. This sample was collected from the Holston River along John Sevier Hwy under the I 40 Bridge. This sample was collected on October 13, 2013 and also had partial shade exposure. Finally, I added a sample of Utricularia gibba L.This flowering, carnivorous plant is originally from the south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta, Tennessee in White County and grown in water tanks outside of the greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building here at the University of Tennessee. This sample was also collected on October 13 of this year. In the small amount of time I spent looking at my MicroAquarium under the microscope, I spotted a few organisms. I first saw what I think was a rodifer on the hedwig moss. This organism was still with the exception of tiny cilia whipping around rapidly in a circular motion. I saw two large, 6-legged insect larvae on the Fontinalis moss and the Utricularia. These organisms had distinguishable heads, eyes, and antennae. If I'm not mistaken, they were eating the plants which they were located on. I also a large transparent worm-like organism that flailed its whole body in a very abrupt fashion. Only time will tell what shenanigans these critters might get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment